To be effective, your goals must be specific, measurable and written down. The 5 important steps of setting and achieving goals:
(1) Decide what you want, short-term, medium-term and long-term.
(2) When do you want it? Set target dates for the achievement of your goals.
(3) Determine what you are willing to give in terms of time, effort, resources and sacrifice.
(4) Develop a detailed plan of what you must do each year, each month, each week and each day.
(5) Write it down - put the above 4 steps into a 50-word goal statement, re-write it twice daily.