Do you feel emotionally, mentally and physically exhausted after being with certain people? These people can just deplete and consume the positive energy out of your lives. Most of the time, you just move on. But when you are feeling drained by them continuously it is time to start thinking about what you can do to free yourselves from these energy drainers.
On a piece of paper, list some actions you can take to free yourself from negative people and the energy-drainers in your life. Before taking action on any of these items, take a good long look at the situation and ask yourself why this is an energy drainer. Your actions may include experiencing the emotions and then let them go, limit contact with certain individuals, and simply not attending the events that drain you.
On a positive note, energy drainers in your life can be a blessing in disguise. That has been my personal experience. I used to spend quite a lot of time with this individual that I wanted to help, but she keeps on draining my energy, telling lies and showing how untrustworthy she is. Through my interaction with her, I was shown that I needed to empower and honour myself, rather than let them take advantage of me and manipulate me. She helps me to learn how to protect myself, choose to focus on what is right and what is good!
Here are some of the signs to look for in regards to an energy drainer:
- They blame everyone and everything else for their problems and never take any responsibility
- They are almost always complaining and making excuses
- They always have an urgent problem (drama queen) and do things last minute
- They intrude on your life and ignore boundaries
- They are always the victim
- They have negative outlook on life and make big deals out of nothing
- They always feel like people are out to get them and even delusional
- They make you feel drained and exhausted