Saturday, June 14, 2014

Technology and Face-To-Face Communication


For a few years now, one of my goals is to be more effective in my communication and connection with the important people around me. And I embarked on the journey of embracing internet and social media technology to do that. Within a few years, I have become more and more comfortable with the technology and internet communication pattern. At times admittedly even more so than face-to-face communication! Can anyone reading this relate to that? 

Studies show that only 7% of communication is based on the written or verbal word. And 93% is based on nonverbal body language. This presents a paradox! With all the powerful social technologies available to us, we are more connected, but potentially more disconnected than ever before. I am a living example of this paradox. I have found that as much as I have been really enjoying keeping in touch with my friends online, I still long for the personal touch. Also, I've had serious disagreements with friends when text messages and emails are misunderstood, because words alone without body language and facial expressions can be misinterpreted wrongly easily.

Technology is an awesome tool to help us stay in touch with our loved ones, but it shouldn’t take the place of face-to-face communication when it is possible.  As I've shared in my previous post here, one of my most valued core needs is 'connection / love',  I'm grateful that I have discovered mindfulness to improve my relationships by focusing on the moments, being more aware of my thoughts & feelings, as well as being present to enjoy and appreciate my friends and loved ones. I am obviously a work in progress, but enjoying this progressive journey very much!

How about you? What has been your experience on technology and face-to-face communication?

No comments: